For the best experienceDownload the Mobile App
App Store Play Store
Oregon Youth Authority director placed on administrative leave
Oregon Youth Authority director placed on administrative leave
Oregon Youth Authority director placed on administrative leave

Published on: 02/14/2025

This news was posted by Oregon Today News

Go To Business Place

Description

The Oregon Youth Authority’s director, Joe O’Leary, has been placed on paid administrative leave amid an investigation into possible misconduct.

Gov. Tina Kotek made the announcement Friday. In a press release, the governor said O’Leary will remain on leave until OYA’s Professional Standards Office completes its investigation into “issues” against the director.

Kotek said that complaints that come through that office should be handled “expeditiously.”

“A backlog is unacceptable,” the governor said in a statement. “Oregon youth in the state’s care rely on us to keep them safe and get this right.”

No other details were provided.

In the meantime, Kotek has appointed Jana McLellan, who currently serves as the interim deputy director, as acting director of the agency.

Kotek’s announcement Friday comes shortly after The Oregonian/OregonLive reported OYA’s chief investigator abruptly resigned last month during an ongoing review of his handling of misconduct complaints.

OYA, the state’s juvenile detention system, has nine secure or close-custody facilities, including five youth correctional facilities and four youth transitional facilities.

According to OYA’s website, nearly 500 youth, or kids aged 18 and under, live in its state facilities at any given time.

News Source : https://www.opb.org/article/2025/02/14/oregon-youth-authority-oya-director-administrative-leave/

Other Related News

05/21/2026

Read this story in English Portland kids will need a new accessory to swim in city pools t...

05/21/2026

Renovations are well underway at Washington Square

05/21/2026

What do we crave from a museum cafe Is it a glorified gallery bench a place to rest after ...

After fourth bicyclist death in less than a year, Eugene officials again discuss safety plans
After fourth bicyclist death in less than a year, Eugene officials again discuss safety plans

05/21/2026

To commemorate traffic death victims and discuss safety plans over 100 people gathered at ...

ShoutoutGive Shoutout
500/500